All Wheel Junkies All Wheel Drive Enthusiasts Community

Go Back   All Wheel Junkies > AWJunkies Technical > AWD Tech > AWD Performance

Old April 8th, 2009   #1
mmaloco
Community Member

AWCash: 746.55
Vehicle Specs
Default question about cobb AP

Hey guys, im considering buying a used accessport for my 04 wrx when i can find one but i was looking up on it and. Do you really just get the map and plug it into the car and a few minutes later everything is all done? i need a little clarification on this

Old April 8th, 2009   #2
aure
Community Member

AWCash: 601.40
Vehicle Specs
Default Re: question about cobb AP

thats the jist of it...u should get a user's manual with the purchase but if you don't then it comes on the CD (a must) which gives you installation instructions.

there is 1 connector you put in, under your dash, in order to be in test mode and load up a map permanently, i.e. stg 2 or stg 1 map.

after you connect the piece, which is provided or should be, you can follow the prompts on the AP in order to upload the map off the AP to your ECU.

in case all my gibberish doesnt make sense.....

just installed my v2 AP on my 04 wrx, so let me know if you need help

-Lance

Old April 8th, 2009   #3
aure
Community Member

Vehicle Specs

oh yea, make sure you find an unmarried AP, otherwise its a good paperweight.

Old April 8th, 2009   #4
mmaloco
Community Member

Threadstarter Threadstarter  
Vehicle Specs

for stg 2 i've read you need a turboback right?whats needed for stg 2?. so if i have a catback and uppipe should i go with the stg 1? It just seems too easy, but i guess it is, right?

Old April 8th, 2009   #5
Scat
Master Tool

AWCash: 1,650.44

you can run stage 2 with just a turbo back if you wanted, will not hurt anything. but yeah it is that easy. Oh and to add to what aure said, there is two things that will have to be connected under the dash. there are two green plugs that will need to be pluged together and then a connector that comes with the AP that will be need to be pluged in as well. Super easy man.

Are you looking for a version 1 or 2 AP?
Scat's Sig:YOU CAN"T FIX STUPID

Quote:
7:59 PM Fishdizzle yumm, yumm, chilli dick my fav

Click the image to open in full size.

Old April 8th, 2009   #6
mmaloco
Community Member

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Are you looking for a version 1 or 2 AP?
i guess a v.1 because its going to be cheaper. Im just going to try and find a used unmarried one. Is there a big difference?

Oh and, i have to have a turbo back to run stage 2? Because that definitely will bring the "wrong"attention from the cops if you know what i mean

Old April 8th, 2009   #7
aure
Community Member

Vehicle Specs

the turboback is what cobb sells new with their set-up. so if you already have an up pipe and catback, i'd definitely recommend the stg 2 AP w/ a downpipe...however you are looking at about $700 or so, give or take a hundo.

if you are short on money the AP v1 is alright, just since you still have the stock DP you will be more restricted and will have less of a HP gain from stock tune to v1 tune. you also gain a bunch of gauges and a variety of monitoring programs on the v2 compared to v1.

used v1 AP's usually go for about 200-300. and used v2 goes from 450-550...dont pay more than $500 for a wrx AP v2 tho.

Old April 8th, 2009   #8
mmaloco
Community Member

Vehicle Specs

so if i but a downpipe and install and i can run stage 2 without any extra tuning done? Just bolt of the downpipe and run the software? sorry if im asking too many questions, im just trying to figure everything out. What sort of downpipe is best? Does anyone have problems with the cops pulling you over and seeing you ave an aftermarket downpipe?

Old April 8th, 2009   #9
aure
Community Member

Vehicle Specs

if you have either a set up with an aftermarket downpipe + catback, or downpipe + up pipe + catback you can run stg 2. the up pipe gives you a little less restriction on the line.

but yes, all the tune that you need with that modification you have in mind is the AP and a downpipe. Also buy 2 gaskets, if they dont come with the downpipe. one for your downpipe, one for your mid-pipe. always good to get a new seal on there when installing a new part like that.

otherwise, i'd recommened a 3" downpipe...everyone has different opinions about divorced vs. bellmouth etc. i personally have a divorced crawford 3" but to each his own....search Nasioc.com

if you wish to learn a bit more about the tunning... http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=795608

and no about the cops...first off don't drive like an asshat and you will have less options for getting pulled over...make sure you don't have any illegal modifications on the exterior of your car or your chances just went up for getting pulled over...make sure your engine bay looks stock...i.e. stock heat shield over your new downpipe (sometimes takes some cutting of the heat shield since the new downpipe will be bigger, its easy the heat shield is just tin) if you are a little paranoid...like me :)

All Wheel Junkies > AWJunkies Technical > AWD Tech > AWD Performance